Suffolk and Essex Country Visit
Euston Hall & Belchamp Hall
Euston Hall is the seat of the Dukes of Grafton, and won a Georgian Group Commendation in 2017 for the recent restoration of its interior, and another in 2016 for the restoration of the Capability Brown landscape. The village of Euston first appears in the Domesday Book (1087) and there has been a manor house on the site since the 15th Century. The Estate was purchased in 1666 by Henry Bennet, Earl of Arlington and Secretary of State to the newly-restored King, Charles II. He set out to build a grand house in the French style, built around a central court with large pavilions on each corner. In its original form, the house was half H - shaped in plan, being the remodelling of a characteristic Suffolk Tudor House.
The 2nd Duke remodelled it in 1750, using designs by Matthew Brettingham (who went on to design Holkham Hall in Norfolk.)
The picturesque courtyard, now the main entrance to the Hall, contains Lord Arlington’s stable block and a service wing linking it with the Hall.
Belchamp Hall is a Queen Anne period house of rich red brick with a front nine bays wide and of two storeys, below a cornice and solid parapet. The C16 manor house was replaced in 1720/21 by John Raymond III and map evidence suggests that the layout of the gardens most probably dates from this period (Walker, 1605; Chapman and Andre, 1777). In c 1741 outlying parts of the estate, together with the lordship of the manor, were sold to Thomas Ruggles but the manor house was not included in the sale. The Rev Samuel Raymond, who succeeded in 1767 and married Margarette Brooke Bridges in 1780, laid out the little park to the south-west of the gardens with small clumps of trees (OSD 1799). When Rev Raymond died in 1825, Samuel Millbank Raymond inherited and lived at Belchamp, where he was known as Squire Raymond, until his death in 1863. The house is still occupied by the Raymond family.