Buxton & Henbury VisitThe Crescent was the centrepiece of the Fifth Duke of Devonshire’s plans to establish a fashionable Georgian spa town in Buxton. The grade 1 listed building is one of the most architecturally significant buildings in the county. The current redevelopment and restoration involves restoring the thermal spa. There will be a special presentation and guided tour by the Buxton Crescent Heritage Trust outlining the current redevelopment and restoration.
Buffet Lunch with wine in the Old Town Hall is included
A hall known as Henbury Hall existed in the area in the 17th century.
A Neoclassical style hall was built on the present site in 1742 and drastically remodelled in the 1850s. In 1957 the estate was bought by Sir Vincent de Ferranti. He demolished the existing house and commissioned the architect Harry Fairhurst to convert the stable block for his own residential use. After the death of Sir Vincent in 1980, his son Sebastian and the designer Felix Kelly, who had already been involved with some work on the Henbury estate, came up with the idea of creating a house in the style of a Palladian temple. Kelly executed an oil painting based on Villa Rotondo, a house near Vicenza built in 1552 and designed by Palladio. Sebastian then commissioned the architect Julian Bicknell to create a design similar to Kelly's painting. The new building was completed in 1986.