Thirsk Hall and Duncombe Park
Thirsk Hall is a brick manor house dating from 1720. In 1770 a top floor and side wings designed by John Carr, one of the leading architects of the north of England and who built Harewood House and Buxton Crescent, were added. Many of the rooms on the first floor retain eighteenth-century features.
Duncombe Park was completed in 1713 for Thomas Duncombe and later remodelled in 1843 by Sir Charles Barry. Following a fire in 1879, the main block remained a ruin until it was rebuilt by William Young based on the original design. Members will have the opportunity to see the interiors, which are not usually open to the public, as well the fine eighteenth-century parkland surrounding the house, which includes an Ionic Temple designed by Vanbrugh and which was recently commended at the Georgian Group Architectural Awards for the work that has been undertaken to restore this Georgian landscape.
Includes lunch with wine
***£10 off booking when purchased before 31 July (£85 when booked after this date)***