Bradley House and Marston House
Bradley House, in Maiden Bradley, is home to the Duke of Somerset, who will kindly take us on a tour of this country house which has belonged to the Seymour family for over 300 years. Construction of the house began in the seventeenth century and was completed in 1710. The original house, as depicted in the second volume of Vitruvius Britannicus, was vast; in 1821 it was reduced to an eighth of its size to form its current layout.
Marston House, in the village of Marston Bigot, is a grade II* mansion with seventeenth century origins. Rebuilt in the early eighteenth century by Charles Boyle, 4th Earl of Orrery, it was extended in the mid eighteenth century, with side wings designed by Samuel Wyatt added in the 1770s. The Wyatt family connection continued when, in around 1817, Sir Jeffry Wyattville added a Greek Ionic colonnade flanked by square pilastered porches to the central block. Substantial remodelling took place later in the nineteenth century, however this was notable for being in a manner sympathetic to the Georgian character of the house. Following varied fortunes in the twentieth century, Marston’s recent owners have been pivotal in restoring the interiors and parkland. Lunch will be provided by kind invitation of the current owners, Mr and Mrs Tim Sanderson.
Lunch with wine included
***£10 off booking when purchased before 31 July (£90 when booked after this date)***