The Georgian Group is an English and Welsh conservation organisation created to campaign for the preservation of historic buildings and planned landscapes of the 18th and early 19th centuries. Founded in 1937 by the journalist Douglas Goldring, (who went on to become the first Honourary Secretary), Robert Byron (the Deputy Chairman) and Lord Derwent (the first Chairman) the Group was originally part of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings.
The poet and author Sir John Betjeman, the architectural historian Sir John Summerson, the architectural writers James Lees-Milne and Christopher Hussey, the architect Albert Richardson, the 6th Earl of Rosse (active in the National Trust) and the urban planner Trystan Edwards were among its most prominent early active members. The Group caught the imagination of the younger generation of the day and both Nancy Mitford and Evelyn Waugh refer to the Group affectionately in their novels. An account of the Group’s early history can be found in Gavin Stamp’s article on the foundation of the Group in the 2012 Georgian Group Journal (Volume XX).
Areas of Interest
- Listed Building applications for works of alteration and demolition for buildings of all kinds containing fabric and fittings which date from between 1700 and 1837.
- Applications for works significantly affecting the setting of buildings or structures constructed between 1700 and 1837 or those affecting the character of those parts of our historic environment with a primarily Georgian character.
- The care and preservation of Georgian buildings.
- Promoting good design in the setting of the Georgian built environment and Georgian parks and gardens.
- Promoting a better understanding of eighteenth and early nineteenth century architecture and designed landscapes.
Staff and Trustees
Lord Cormack D.L. F.S.A.
John Harris O.B.E., F.S.A., F.R.I.B.A.
Dame Jennifer Jenkins Hon. F.R.I.B.A.
Viscount Norwich CVO FRSL FRGS FSA
David McKinstry, Secretary: email@example.com
Michael Bidnell, Information Officer (Wednesdays only): firstname.lastname@example.org
Alexander Bowring, Acting Caseworker for Southern England: email@example.com
James Darwin, Senior Caseworker and caseworker for Northern England: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tina Graham, Events Coordinator and Office Manager: email@example.com
Roberto Kouyoumdjian, Location Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ewa Manias, Finance Officer: email@example.com
Gilbert O'Brien, Honorary Archivist: firstname.lastname@example.org
Gareth Roberts, Caseworker for Wales: email@example.com
Dr. Gillian Williamson, Honorary Casework Administrator: firstname.lastname@example.org
Structure, Governance and Management
The Group has a wholly-owned subsidiary, Georgian Enterprises & Trading Limited, established in 2007 as a private limited company, whose principal activity has been the provision of location hire agency services. A second subsidiary, Georgian Group (Holdings) Limited holds one third share ownership of land received in a bequest. The company Directors of GETL are Sir Josslyn Gore-Booth, Bt and David McKinstry.
- Anglo-American: Deals with the Group's annual UK tour for the American Friends of the Georgian Group.
- Casework: Deals with the Group's statutory casework and grant funding.
- Campaigns: Deals with areas of ongoing and general concern to the Group in its statutory role.
- Education: Deals with education outreach and scholarships.
- Publications: Deals with the Group's written materials and published communications, chiefly the magazine and journal.
- Staff and Finance: Deals with the Group's internal administration on these matters.
- Other working Groups are appointed as need to administer a specific locus: For example, the Annual Architectural Awards Judging Panel and the 80th Anniversary Party Committee. At least one Trustee is always present on each.
The Group's Secretary attends all sub-committee meetings.
Chair: The Lady Bradbury
Chair: John Burton MBE RIBA IHBC
Vice-Chair: Rosemarie MacQueen MBE
Rosemary Baird FSA
Sir Thomas Croft, Bt
Peter Inskip RIBA
Caroline Knight FSA
Alireza Sagharchi RIBA
Chair: Peregrine Bryant RIBA
Dr. John Robinson
Chair: Hugh Petter RIBA
Dr. Wolf Burchard
Caroline Knight FSA
Chair: Charles Hind
Rosemary Baird FSA
Bettina Harden MBE
Staff and Finance Committee
Chair: Christopher Boyle QC
Sir Josslyn Gore-Booth, Bt
Rosemarie MacQueen MBE
Hugh Petter RIBA