The Georgian Group
The national charity for the preservation of Georgian buildings and landscapes is seeking an Assistant Secretary to help support the administration of the Group. Applicants should be able to demonstrate knowledge of, or clear interest in, Georgian architecture and will have strong administrative experience, ideally within the charity sector.
Reporting to the Secretary, the postholder will provide support to the organisation on administrative tasks and on undertaking the practical management of key annual events and activities. Please see the job description for further details.
The post is full-time (9.30am-5.30pm, Monday-Friday, but some overnight travel and evening/weekend working will be required) and is based at its central London headquarters. The starting salary is £30k pa + (subject to experience).
To apply, please email a CV and covering letter to David McKinstry, Secretary of The Georgian Group, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put ‘Assistant Secretary Position’ in the subject heading. Applications will be treated in strict confidence. Please include details of two referees and let us know if it is appropriate to contact them at this time. The deadline for applications is 5pm on Tuesday 31st October 2017.
Interviews will be held in London in mid-November 2017 with second interviews taking place shortly afterwards, if necessary. The starting date is Monday 8th January 2018. If you wish to discuss the post informally before applying, please contact David McKinstry on email@example.com
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Registered Charity Number 209934
Reporting to the Secretary, the postholder will:
- Provide general administrative support to the Secretary, deputising as directed and where appropriate, with the aim of maximising the charity’s reach and effectiveness in the areas of heritage protection and education.
- Handle trustee liaison over committee meetings/admin; co-ordinating paperwork for board meetings, AGMs, EGMs etc. The Assistant Secretary will also be responsible for ensuring that at least one member of GG staff attends every relevant committee meeting
- Attend all board meetings and take minutes
- Oversee day-to-day administration of the Georgian Group, including:
- Running a staff diary so as to track and optimize staff activity and to ensure that internal room bookings are co-ordinated with external bookings in a timely manner
- Providing the Group’s HR function, including oversight of staff contracts, job descriptions and training requirements, booking and record-keeping of annual leave, and co-ordinating annual appraisals
- Responsibility for the co-ordination of the GG’s Health & Safety policy, including scheduling relevant meetings
- Act as managing editor for the charity’s bi-annual magazine: supervising article commissioning, copy chasing, picture sourcing, copy editing, managing liaison with designer and printer; and reporting throughout to the Secretary as Editor
- Manage the charity’s annual Architectural Awards: administering the entry and judging processes, liaising with sponsor(s), booking guest speakers/presenters as required, booking the venue, help meet publicity deadlines etc. Again, all reporting to the Secretary
- Help to co-ordinate the Secretary’s diary, to optimize use of the Secretary’s time; supporting the Secretary with email and correspondence management and with any other tasks as they may arise
- Help to manage the Georgian Group’s online and social media presence
Person specification. The successful candidate will:
- Have demonstrable knowledge of, and enthusiasm for, Georgian buildings and landscapes, and of the threats and challenges facing them
- Have experience of organisational and financial management, ideally in the charity/conservation sector
- Be a strong team player and negotiator with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Be able to facilitate, maintain and manage good working relationships between staff, volunteers, trustees, and external partners
Terms of employment (subject to contract)
This is a full-time, permanent post based at the Georgian Group office in central London. Starting remuneration is £30,000pa+ (subject to experience) with 25 days paid holiday a year plus public holidays. There is a probationary period of six months. Performance is evaluated annually. Some overnight travel and evening/weekend working will be required